Mind mapping software is a powerful tool for savvy executives who want to improve their creativity, impact and effectiveness in their work. No software tool is better suited to help you think deeply about your work and to increase the value of your contributions to others in your organization.
“Ideas are the currency of the 21st century.” – Carmine Gallo
Whether you are trying to position yourself for the next promotion within your company, or if you’re trying to sell your ideas as a consultant to a prospective client, the quality of your thinking matters like never before.
Organizations need a steady stream of high-impact ideas in order to survive and thrive in today’s turbulent business environment. But ideas are competing for attention, funding and manpower – limited resources in a zero-sum game.
Translation: Your ability to persuade others with your creative ideas is already a key to success in your career. It will only become more so in the years ahead.
If you want to be successful today, you need to be able to think creatively, plan effectively and execute efficiently. These skills have never been more important. But the thinking skills that got you where you are today aren’t necessarily going to help you be successful tomorrow.
What are you doing to elevate your idea-generation, creativity and planning skills?
Higher-level creativity with mind mapping software
You may be tempted to dismiss mind mapping as a thinking technique that is too frivolous or that is irrelevant to your work. You may also view it as a technology that has too steep of a learning curve. In all three cases, you would be wrong. Mind mapping software can transform the way in which you think, plan and work.
Surveys of users of mind mapping software consistently prove that it is a highly valuable business tool. Here are some highlights from my 2015 Mind Mapping Software Trends Survey that prove it’s an indispensable tool for creativity, thinking and planning:
- It increases the productivity of its users by an average of 20%
- 73% say it enables them to tackle complex projects they would otherwise feel ill-equipped to do so.
- 44% say it helps them be “significantly” more creative
- Improved understanding of complex issues and reaching clarity faster on key business issues were the number one and two benefits of mind mapping software users
How mind mapping software can transform your work
Visual thinking in general, and mind mapping software specifically, represents a quantum leap in creativity and effectiveness. The bottom line is that it can transform the way you think about your work. Here’s how:
- It helps you capture your thinking and ideas in tangible form – so you can consider them and build upon them.
- It helps you think more associatively and boosts your creativity
- It enables you to be more of a “whole-brained” thinker – left and right sides – analytical AND creative
- It helps you surface and capture ideas lurking at the periphery of your thinking – which are often the most creative
- It bypasses the “inner critic” – you can easily do a brain dump and organize your thoughts later
- It helps you think at a bigger picture or systems level
- It enables you to both brainstorm and evaluate ideas – all in the same tool – and then develop them into actionable plans for their execution
- It enables you to communicate and present your ideas to others in a highly visual and engaging way
- In most companies, knowledge is distributed across the organization in the minds of many specialists. Mind mapping software gives you a powerful way to capture that knowledge and synthesize it into a complete, detailed picture.
- It’s an excellent way to build consensus with a team
- It enables you to break big problems down into little pieces and analyze each of the pieces for potential solutions; it’s also quite valuable for developing accurate problem definitions.
- It helps you to organize and prioritize your thinking
What about you?
What are you doing to elevate your creativity and ideation skills with mind mapping software?