Jamie Nast, who wrote the excellent book Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More and Achieve Success in Business and conducts numerous training sessions on visual mapping, offers a highly portable tool that you can use to produce colorful, creative maps just about anywhere.
The Idea Mapping Kit comes in a 7-1/16 in. by 9-1/8 in. 3-ring binder with 3/4 in. rings and a Velcro closure. It also includes:
- 10-color, fine-tip Staedtler Triplus 0.3 mm markers, in a plastic storage box. These are high-quality markers, not some cheap ones!
- A pad of 3-hole punched 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ 67-pound quality paper (Jamie says you can also use 8-1/2 x 11 in. paper, 3 hole punched on the narrow side and folded in half).
- A business card slot
- A 4-color pen with a black cushioned grip and secured by a pen loop
- A 3-hole punched zipper case to store miscellaneous items
- A back cover pocket for extra storage
The Idea Mapping Kit is a quality piece of work. It looks very durable, like something you can carry around to meetings or on business trips without damaging or losing any of its components. If you read Jamie’s Idea Mapping book, this kit is a nice follow-up to put the principles you’ve learned into practice. If you haven’t read the book, you really ought to!
If you’re serious about producing hand-drawn mind maps, I highly recommend the Idea Mapping Kit. The cost is US$99; you can order it from the Idea Mapping website.