It’s not that they were ignorant. They just got so busy running their day-to-day operations that they forgot to look up, look around and discern the threats to their businesses – until it was too late. And they paid the ultimate price.
Motorola. Xerox. Blockbuster. Nokia. Kodak. Polaroid. Pan Am. Toys “R” Us. Sears. The list gets longer by the month.
To make matters worse, strategic threats are coming faster and more frequently than ever before. Why? Because we live in times of accelerating economic, technological and regulatory change and uncertainty. The interconnectedness of our world causes them to escalate alarmingly fast. As a result, it’s easier than ever to get blindsided.
Some of the world’s leading think tanks agree:
- According to McKinsey, 80% of executives think their current business models are at risk to be disrupted in the near future.
- According to a 2018 study by PwC, 15% of CEOs have experienced 5 or more crises in the last 3 years. 30% expect at least 1 crisis during the next 3 years.
- The World Economic Forum, in its Global Risks Report 2018, sees a dramatic increase in strategic threats to organizations: “As the world becomes more complex and interconnected, easily managed incremental change is giving way to the instability of feedback loops, threshold effects and cascading disruptions. Sudden and dramatic breakdowns – future shocks – become more likely.”
What strategic threats are lurking in the dark fringes of your industry or market? What forces could undermine the business model – the foundation – upon which your business is built? It’s just a matter of time until you come face-to-face with a real threat to your company’s survival. Perhaps you already have, and lived to tell the tale.
What if you could identify and mitigate risks before they morph into threats – and even transform some of them into opportunities?
You wouldn’t have to watch all that you worked for get washed away in the rising waters of change.
You could be ahead of the curve, not hanging on for dear life in its wake.
That’s the intent of the new e-course I’m now creating. It will arm you with the insights and tools you need to recognize, avoid and outmaneuver the forces, trends and companies that dream of taking you down.
Here’s a peek at what will be included in this workshop:
- Why organizations get blindsided by strategic threats
- 10 common sources of them
- 6 signs your firm is vulnerable to a strategic threat
- Sobering statistics about the growing speed and number of them
- Why discontinuous innovation may be the biggest threat of all
- How disruptive innovators undermine incumbents – every time
- 3 dimensions of disruption
- How to set up a “distant early warning” system to track weak signals
- A surprising alternative to the over-used SWOT analysis
Don’t risk being blindsided by unseen forces. Sign up today to be notified when my new strategic threats e-course launches. If you do so, you’ll qualify for special launch pricing!