One of the business books I’m really digging these days is The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise? by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith. It’s an excellent primer to the human aspects of growing your influence online.
The “equation” refers to six core elements of building thought leadership and influence, which the authors summarize using the acronym CREATE. To help readers of the book assess their current level of progress and visualize areas where they need to grow, I created a “radar chart” evaluation instrument; an example is depicted above.
You can download a blank assessment form here. No registration is required.
Here’s how The Impact Equation assessment tool works:
- Print out a copy of the diagram using the link above (PDF).
- Rate your current level of progress on each of the six dimensions on a scale of 1-10.
- Transfer those values to the appropriate axis on the radar chart by placing a dot at the intersection of the element and the circle corresponding with its value. I recommend you use a brightly colored marker.
- Connect the dots to form a 6-sided polygon.
- Post this completed assessment in a visible spot within your work area, so it can help you to focus on improving your performance in the areas where you’re currently weak.
I hope you find this simple tool valuable in your efforts to increase your impact and influence in your niche.
And, of course, I highly recommend that you pick up the book – if you or your firm are trying to build a bigger brand image online, The Impact Equation is chock full of useful insights!
Leave a Reply